Solpaur 4 U
arrow Columns 
arrow Classifieds
arrow Movies 
arrow Jokes
arrow Cartoons
arrow Art & Culture 
arrow Entertainment 
arrow Food & Dining
arrow Music 
arrow Travel
Help Line
arrow News Papers
arrow Solapur Links
arrow Help Line
arrow Police
arrow Emergency
arrow Hospitals
arrow Railways
arrow State Transport
arrow Ambulance
arrow Blood Banks
arrow Solapur District Map
arrow Solapur City Map

                                     About Bijapur

Malik-e-Maidan (The Monarch of the Plains) the largest medieval

cannon in the world. Being 4 m long, 1,5 m in diameter and weighing

55 tons, this gun was brought back from Ahmadnagar in the 17th

century as a trophy of war by 400 oxen, 10 elephants and tens of men.

 It was placed on the Sherza Burj (Lion Gate) on a platform especially

built for it.The cannon's nozzle is fashioned into the shape of a lion's

head with open jaws & between the carved fangs is depicted an

elephant being crushed to death. It is said that after igniting the

cannon, the gunner would remain underwater in a tank of water on

the platform to avoid the deafening explosion.

  •  The cannon remains cool even in strong sunlight and if tapped, tinkles like a bell. In 1854 the cannon was auctioned for Rs. 150 but the sale was cancelled in the end.

  • Upri Buruj, Built around 1584 by Hyder Khan, is an 80 ft high tower standing to the north of Dakhani Idgah in Bijapur. This is a spherical structure with stone steps winding round the outside. Top of the tower offers a commanding view of the city. This is also known as "Hyder Burj", "Upli Burj". On top of Upli Burj there are two guns of huge size. The parafeet this tower which was used for monitoring purposes has been fenced now. One needs to climb the circular stairs to reach the top. However except for this tower there is very little evidence of the citadel wall in this area due to rampant construction.


Gagan Mahal

  • Chand Bawdi, Ali Adil Shah (1557-1580) built this tank near eastern boundary of Bijapur. When there was large influx of people into Bijapur after the fall of the Vijayanagar empire, and new settlements came up within the walled city raising the need for better infrastructure and providing water supply. This has a storage capacity of 20 million litres. Later it became a model for many other tanks constructed in the city. A grandeur complex came up around it, which was mainly used to house the maintenance staff though members of the royal family occasionally used it for recreation. He named this after his wife "Chand Bibi".

  • Asar Mahal, The Asar Mahal was built by Mohammed Adil Shah in about 1646, which was used to serve as a Hall of Justice. The building was also used to house hairs from the Prophet's beard. The rooms on the upper storey are decorated with frescoes and the front is graced with a square tank. Here women are not allowed inside. Every year there is urs (festival) held at this place.Infront of the hall, one can see three tanks the bigger tank, which is at the centre is about 15 feet deep however the other two are comparatively smaller in size as well as depth. Behind Asar Mahal one can still see the remain of the citadel. Just a kilometer away behind Asar Mahal, one can still find the old mosque which is on top of the citadel wall. There is a big entrance with arc below this mosque. Many stones have inscriptions. The site is under maintaince of Archeological Survey of India

  • Gagan Mahal, Which means Sky Palace, is built with a 21- meter façade and four wooden massive pillars, has a majestic central arch. Sikandar Adil Shah, in silver chains, surrendered to Aurangzeb in 1681 here.

  • Barakaman (Ali Roza-II) A mausoleum of Ali Roza built in 1672. It was previously named as Ali Roza, but Shah Nawab Khan changed its name to Bara Kaman as this was the 12th monument during his reign. It has now seven arches and the tomb containing the graves of Ali, his queens and eleven other ladies possibly belonging to the Zenana of the queens.

  • Among the other historical attractions at Bijapur, some notable ones are the Anand Mahal, Jod Gumbaz, Jumma Mosque, Sat Manzil, and Jal Manzil.Also among old houses at Bijapur, the most famous is Elavia House ( Nauzer Elavia) which is more than 100 years old.


Solapur 4 U
Copyright © 2007 All rights reserved.

All contents of web site is property of Microlink Infotech Pvt. Ltd .